We hope that you are all keeping well during this turbulent time.
As pupils in year 9 progress into Key Stage 4, those in E Band and P Band are required to specialise in one of their Humanity subjects. Pupils in S Band will continue to study both History and Geography so do not need to pick an option to specialise in. As a result, pupils in E Band and P Band will need to choose from either History or Geography as their main Humanity subject which they will continue to study as they move into year 10 in September. We are also offering a cohort of pupils the opportunity to continue studying both History and Geography (on a first come, first serve basis and subject to numbers). However, pupils who wish to do this will be required to drop one of their creative subjects. We will collect preferences from pupils during this options process (on a first come, first serve basis) to decide which option column would be the best fit for the additional class(es).
As a result of the current Covid-19 situation, we are not able to run our options process in the traditional way, where we would invite parents and pupils into school to discuss their choices and access careers related information. Instead, we are planning to launch our options process using Microsoft Teams so that pupils can review subject information from the History and Geography Curriculum Leaders, careers information from Mr Musgrove and complete a digital options form that we can collate and process despite the school’s closure.
Our options process this year will operate as follows:
· The Options ‘Team’ will be available to pupils from Monday 27 April for pupils to review the information and make an informed decision.
· Paper copies of the information published online, including a paper options form, will be posted out to pupils who have not accessed Microsoft Teams between Monday 20 April and Friday 24 April so they are not disadvantaged by being unable to access the electronic versions. Pupils who access Microsoft Teams during this period will be presumed to be able to complete the options process online. Paper copies will be sent to arrive by Monday 27 April.
· The options form will be available from Monday 4 May. This is to give pupils a few days to consider the information prior to making their final choice.
· The online options form will be available until Friday 15 May.
· Paper option forms must be posted back to school at your own expense. Option forms returned prior to Monday 4 May will be treated as being received on Monday 4 May so pupils are not disadvantaged. Option forms must be received in school by Friday 15 May.
· We will process the options information and aim to confirm subject choices by Friday 5 June.
Should you have any queries about the options process, please don’t hesitate to contact either myself (AMcMillan@penkethhigh.org), or Mr Cordingley, the Exams and Data Manager (PCordingley@penkethhigh.org), and we will respond to your queries as quickly as we can. If you do not have access to an email account, please ring the school on 01925 722 298 and the staff on duty will take a note of your query and forward this on to us.