Key Functions of the Welfare Team
The DSL leads the Penketh High welfare team and allocate tasks to welfare team members via regular team meetings, daily updates and concerns raised using our state of the art Child protection Monitoring System (CPOMS).
The DSL will have management oversight of the safeguarding work completed by the Welfare team. Below is a list of the some of the tasks that the DSL and Welfare team will undertake:
- Contact Children’s Social Care/ Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) when there is an identified child protection issue.
- Make referrals to appropriate statutory and non-statutory services for support.
- Support to children and their families by taking the Lead Professional role.
- Know who our vulnerable children are. The Safeguarding Risk Register is reviewed at Safeguarding Team meetings on a regular basis.
- Spots the signs of abuse early and offer timely and affective support to prevent issues escalating.
- Attend regular statutory training around safeguarding and deliver Safeguarding Training to all school stakeholders several times per year.
- Be champions for the voice of children in all the work we do.
- Challenge practice and decisions in line with the LSCB Escalation Policy
- Contribute to Combined Assessments, complete DASH risk assessments (in relation to Domestic Abuse), complete CSE screening tools.
- Have a thorough understanding of the thresholds for support from Children’s Social Care E.g. Children in Need of protection and children in need of care
- Support each other and have regular debriefing opportunities and reflective learning opportunities
- Take a key role in the early education of pupils around key safeguarding issue such as E-safety, online bullying, Child sexual exploitation and peer to peer issues so that we have a pro-active and preventative approach to safeguarding.